- March Council Updates
March 1-31: 5% registration discount for summer camp
March 3: Girl Scout Cookie booth sales begin; cookie cupboards open
March 3-5: National Girl Scout Cookie Weekend
March 3-24: Council shops open Fridays, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
March 10-12: MyGS down for maintenance
March 11: Council shops open extended hours, 9 a.m.-noon
March 11-17 Girl Scout Week shop sale
March 12: Girl Scouts’ birthday
March 12-18: Girl Scout Week
March 26: Last day of the 2023 Girl Scout Cookie Program
April 1: Start of Volunteer Appreciation Month
April 1-5: Super Early Bird renewal
April 6-30: Early Bird renewal
April 8: Council shops open extended hours, 9 a.m.-noon
April 15: Annual Meeting
April 22: Leader’s Day/Earth Day
NEW THIS MONTH
- For all things Girl Scout Cookies, be sure to keep an eye out for Cookie Bytes, our weekly cookie update for volunteers. This week’s edition includes a new Girl Scout Cookie Inventory FAQ.
- MyGS will be down for maintenance beginning Friday, March 10, after business hours and will reopen by regular business hours the following Monday. During this time, members will not be able to register for activities or access their account, the Volunteer Toolkit, or gsLearn.
- Camp registration continues: Registration continues for all Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania summer camps, including troop camps. Plus—girls save 5% off the cost of registration when they register from March 1-31.
- Reminder: Use the “Entering Grades” featured in Camp S’more to determine if your girl is eligible to attend a camp session. Grade levels displayed in the online activity listings reflect the grade levels of girls for the current school year. On July 1, the grade levels will automatically adjust to display grades girls are entering in the fall of 2023. (i.e., your current third-grade Brownie Girl Scout is eligible to register for a camp session for girls entering grades 4-5).
- Financial Assistance for camp: Financial assistance is available to girls to cover one council-sponsored camp per membership year. To request financial assistance for camp, first save your girl’s spot at camp by registering for the session she’d like to attend, then complete the Financial Assistance Form.
- A temporary lift of our organization’s fundraising ban has been approved by GSUSA’s Bonnie Barczykowski and Karen Layng. Girl members may now raise funds in support of humanitarian efforts in Turkey and Syria through May 31, 2023. We recommend that girls research and make contributions only to highly-rated charities providing relief and recovery as vetted by Charity Navigator or Charity Watch.
- Girl Scouts’ birthday, March 12, commemorates the day in 1912 when Juliette Gordon Low officially registered the organization’s first 18 members in Savannah, Georgia. Girl Scout Week, March 12-18, 2023, is celebrated each March the week of Girl Scouts’ birthday (Sunday-Saturday). It’s a time when we shout our Girl Scout pride from the rooftops! It’s also a time when many troops celebrate the connections between Girl Scouting and their faith. Find activities and resources.
- We have new volunteer training available including archery, small craft safety, First Aid/CPR/AED, and Let’s Go Camping 2.
- April is Volunteer Appreciation Month: Without our passionate and dedicated volunteers like you, there would be no Girl Scouting. That’s why we celebrate National Volunteer Month every April! Join us in celebrating the volunteers in your service unit and your troop. Need ideas of ways to celebrate the volunteers in your circle? Visit our website or reach out to your membership engagement specialist.
- Super Early Bird (April 1-5) and Early Bird (April 6-30) Renewal: April 1-5, the first 1,500 girls to renew their membership will receive a 15% discount off the cost of membership ($21.25) for a savings of $3.75 per girl. April 6-30, the first 2,000 girls to register will receive a 10% discount off the cost of membership ($22.50) for a savings of $2.50 per girl. These first 3,500 girls to register by April 30 will also receive an Early Bird Patch!
Our customer care and member services teams will be available on Saturday, April 1, from 9 a.m.-noon and extended hours on Monday-Wednesday, April 3-5, from 5-7 p.m. to answer any questions and assist you in renewing your membership.
- Girl Scout Voices Count Survey: You spoke. We listened. Last year, nearly 90,000 girls, parents and caregivers, and volunteers completed the Girl Scout Voices Count annual survey to tell us about their experiences with Girl Scouts. On a council level, we are using your responses to influence decision-making and future planning including reviewing and streamlining the troop leader onboarding process. Your voice makes a difference, and this April, we want to hear from you. On April 4, troop leaders, parents/caregivers, and girls who were registered as of Jan. 30, 2023, will receive an email with an individual link to participate. The surveys take about 15 minutes to complete, and everyone who completes the survey will have a chance to win one of 20 $50 gift cards from Girl Scouts of the USA. New this year, we will also have a special drawing for our council. Everyone who completes the survey will have a chance to win one of two $50 gift certificates to our council shops! We look forward to hearing what you have to say. Thank you for being a part of the Girl Scout Movement!
- Registration is open for this year’s Annual Meeting. All members ages 14 years and older are invited to join us on Saturday, April 15, for Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania’s Annual Meeting! Receive important updates on council business and governance decisions and see outstanding volunteers receive awards and recognition. Register to join us virtually via Zoom or in-person at McLane Church in Edinboro.
During the in-person Annual Meeting, there will be an opportunity to have your professional headshot taken at no cost to our members. More details will be available soon.
- Silver Award Committee: We are searching for volunteers passionate about the Highest Awards to serve on our Silver Award Committee. Learn more and fill out our interest form.
- Camp Open Houses: Do you know Girl Scouts (or caregivers!) that are nervous or unsure about attending overnight camp? Camp Redwing, Camp Conshatawba, and Camp Skymeadow are each holding an open house where you’ll get a great idea of what each camp has to offer this summer. Register.
- Get Outdoors Challenge – Camp Redwing 100th Anniversary Edition: Celebrate Camp Redwing’s 100th anniversary by earning the Camp Redwing Challenge patch! The challenge can be completed anywhere, but Camp Redwing is encouraged! Complete the listed number of requirements for your grade level between March 20 and Sept. 21. Learn more.
- Camp Redwing 100th Celebration Signs: We are looking for troops to help create signs for our Camp Redwing 100th Celebration. Sign up.
- Community Volunteer Days at Camp: Help us get our camps ready for summer! Join us for one of our spring-cleaning days.
- April 16: Camp Skymeadow Registration coming soon!
- April 22: Camp Conshatawba Registration coming soon!
- April 23: Camp Redwing
- TBD: Camp Hawthorne Ridge
- Virtual Camp Trading Posts: No trip to camp is complete without visiting the Trading Post for all your camp swag! Visit our virtual Camp Trading Post to grab all your fun camp gear before heading to camp. Be sure to check back as we add new items.
- Girl Scout Grand Prix: The inaugural Girl Scout Grand Prix pinewood car race championship is on June 17. Find more details, including how service units and troops can host their own races.
- We’re hiring! Check out our part- and full-time employment opportunities at gswpa.org/employment.
- Know someone who would be a great addition to our summer camp team? We have administrative, aquatic, equestrian, kitchen, and program positions available. View and share our full position descriptions and our Camp Staff Application.
- Adult Girl Scout members and Girl Scout alum are invited to join our Alum Association. For $50, Alum Association members will receive a 10% discount on two adult/alum events throughout the 2023 year and more. Join.
- Top-Notch Troop: All approved Top-Notch Troops will receive an exclusive patch and will be invited to a summer swim day at one of our four camps! Learn how to qualify.
- Camp facilities and activity spaces open to rent: Book day-use and overnight rentals for each of our council’s four camp properties, our Edinboro Activity Wing, or our Greensburg Activity Center using our online reservation system.
- Troop Catalog Update Form: Keeping your troop’s information updated with our council, such as the number of girls and volunteers and meeting time/location, makes it easier for new families to find the right troop in our online Troop Catalog and to welcome new girls to your troop. Fill out the Troop Catalog Update Form if you need to let us know of a change!
- Girl Scouts of the USA welcomes new CEO: On Monday, Feb. 13, Bonnie Barczykowski began her role as Girl Scouts’ new CEO. Learn more.
- For all things Girl Scout Cookies, be sure to keep an eye out for Cookie Bytes, our weekly cookie update for volunteers.
- Join our cookie text list: Cookie volunteers, text COOKIE23 to 800-248-3355 to receive Girl Scout Cookie Program updates and important reminders.
- Girl Scout Bucks, Indie Girl Scout Program Rewards, and FUNd Bucks: By now, Girl Scouts should have received an email with the amount of Girl Scout Bucks and Indie Girl Scout Program Rewards they earned during the 2022 MagNut Program. Girls can redeem their Girl Scout Bucks and/or Indie Girl Scout Program Rewards using this form. FUNd Bucks have also been emailed to troops.
- Service Unit Day Camp information and resources are now available on our website.
- Older Girl Summit: Back for 2023, it’s the Older Girl Summit. Encourage your Cadettes, Seniors, and Ambassadors to check out this event just for them. This year we’ll be taking over Camp Hawthorne Ridge on Saturday, April 29, for a day of adventure, skill-building, and fun! Register.
- Stay up-to-date on new programs and activities as they’re added to our website and get notified of upcoming registration deadlines by subscribing to the Adventure Guide. This month, check out Erie Zoo Girl Scout Day, Council Getaway to Hersheypark, and our Glassy Gals events. Through the Adventure Guide, you’ll also be notified when new opportunities are available, so your Girl Scout won’t miss a minute of the fun! Check out the latest Adventure Guide post!
- Patches of the Month: We have two featured patches for the month of March—earn the Girl Scout History and Traditions patch in honor of Girl Scouts’ birthday and Girl Scout Week or the Maple Syrup patch for Maple Month, or both! Earn the patches.
- Project Accessory: Winter Wonderland ends March 20: Throughout this challenge, Daisies-Ambassadors will get to design and make their very own winter-themed accessories while earning custom patches! Learn more.
- Great Getaway at Camp Hawthorne Ridge, June 2-4: Save the date—It’s BACK! We are excited to have an encore of the Great Getaway at Camp Hawthorne Ridge. Just bring yourself and your gear and prepare to relax and do things for YOU that YOU enjoy! This is an adults-only weekend for our volunteers and alum.
- Council travel opportunities: Whether it’s ziplining over wildlife at the Wilds in Ohio, viewing New York City at night from the top of the Rockefeller Center, catching thrills at Hersheypark, or traveling internationally to London and Paris or Italy and Greece, we have so many travel opportunities for you! Learn more.
- Save 15% on apparel during Girl Scout Week! From Saturday, March 11-Friday, March 17, take 15% off all Girl Scout and Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania apparel. Tunics, vests, and sashes are not included.
- Shops open Fridays in March: Our shops will be open 10 a.m.-3 p.m. each Friday, March 3-March 24, during cookie cupboard hours. Grab your cookies AND your troop gear!
- Extended hours: Our council shops will be open for extended hours on Saturday, March 11, from 9 a.m.-noon
- Cookie merchandise: From yard signs to tote bags and more, our shops have all your essentials this cookie season! Stop by our shops or use our online order form.
- Troop T-shirts and hoodies: Our shops have T-Shirts and hoodies, customizable with your troop number. They make great end-of-year gifts! Order yours today.
- Are you planning a large-scale service unit event (50+ girls)? Invite the Girl Scout shop! With our pop-up shops, we’ll bring the merchandise and shop staff to you. Or, assign an approved volunteer to manage a consignment shop at your event and earn money for your service unit! Learn more.
- Save the date for our annual Awards of Distinction honoring professional female leaders and celebrating exceptional Gold Award Girl Scouts. This event will be held on Wednesday, May 10, at PPG Science Pavilion. Registration will be available soon. Learn more at gswpa.org/aod.
- Phenom By Girl Scouts Day Passes On Sale March 12: Registration for Phenom By Girl Scouts half day and full day passes will open on Sunday, March 12, in celebration of Girl Scouts’ birthday. Learn more by visiting the convention registration page.
Troop leaders: Receive important messages and date reminders via text message. Opt-in by texting troopleader to 800-248-3355.
Printable Service Unit Meeting Agenda
Don’t miss a beat!
Get up-to-date volunteer communications sent directly to your inbox.